The unique contribution that we will ever make is this world will be born of our creativity. To use our creativity and imagination, even in simple ways, is an affirmation of life.
Creativity can be acquired at any age or any experience level. Engaging your creative self has multiple benefits. People who are more emotionally engaged are more open to inspiration. Research shows that creative thinking involves making new connections between different regions of the brain. This implies that we can make ourselves more creative by engaging our thinking skills and deliberately exposing ourselves to new experiences and learning.
A recent study of Positive Psychology indicates that engaging in a creative activity once a day leads to a more positive state of mind. A creative activity can be as simple as keeping a journal, knitting, practicing yoga, playing an instrument, or designing a spring garden. Express yourself in ways you enjoy on a regular basis, be creative and benefit from a more positive state of mind.
Cultivate positive emotions! Here is how:
1. Developing closer relationships
2. Imagining a positive future
3. Mindfulness meditation and yoga
4. Expressing gratitude
5. Doing kind acts for others
(Physical exercise is one of the most powerful happiness strategies. It directly changes neurotransmitter activity in the brain and effects some of the same neurotransmitters that antidepressant medications alter.
7. Spending time in nature
8. Reducing avoidance
9. Learning to dispute negative thoughts
10. Reducing gossip and sarcasm
11. Assessing your media diet and reducing your intake of negatively toned news/entertainment
12. Learning how to effectively deal with interactions with other people that trigger negative emotions in you